Recommended actions to take
- Develop a physical health strategy appropriate for people with serious mental illness (SMI), to be reviewed annually, which has:
- been developed in collaboration with other providers and commissioners
- clear leadership and reporting lines to the Board (or equivalent)
- clear, measurable deliverables and outcomes
- implementation plans
- protected staff and funding to deliver
- Plan, invest in and implement changes to key enablers that underpin effective delivery including: IT and digital maturity, workforce, indicators, data and risk stratification tools, operational structures including leadership and reporting lines (e.g. team-based designated physical health leads) and cross sector care pathways.
- Clarify roles and responsibilities across sectors, developing systems and working relationships that promote joint-accountability
- Commissioners can support changes by:
- embedding incentives in contracts
- using commissioning levers to encourage collaboration and joint accountability
Further recommendations are set out within the ‘Integrated and coordinated care‘ section.