This page highlights the importance of having the right leadership attitudes and oversight to respond to the physical health needs of people with serious mental illness.
Recommended actions to take
- Ensure board and executive members are supportive of, and understand, the positive changes required to reduce the serious mental illness (SMI) mortality gap.
- Develop clear leadership, oversight learning and dissemination systems for each organisation. Reporting lines for all services should go into a central place that addresses the SMI mortality gap.
- Identify a team or department-based lead or champion with personal accountability to drive quality, innovation and performance improvement:
- Acute trusts and primary care should have a mental health lead for improving the physical health needs of people with SMI.
- Mental health trusts should have a physical health lead for improving the physical health needs of people with SMI.