Mental Health in Integrated Care Systems
The London Mental Health in Integrated Care Systems (MHICS) programme is a London-wide programme that strives to make the case for, and to understand the value of, mental health as part of integrated care systems development.
The Long Term Plan requires Integrated Care Systems to be in place by April 2021; the MHICS programme is working to articulate the value of mental health within integrated care systems, so that mental health is represented alongside physical health within emerging Integrated Care Systems. The Five Year Forward View for Mental Health sets out the need for strong leadership and collaborative working between providers and commissioners. This will promote the development and implementation of new payment approaches that are evidence based, support access to care that meets patients’ needs, and deliver outcomes aligned with local population values.
Through the programme, we want to achieve the following:
- Parity of esteem – we want to have the same level of understanding of mental health as we do with physical health
- Clinicians to be better informed on the outcomes from the care they provide
- Commissioning to be based on greater understanding of mental health population needs
- Good practice examples and resources shared at a pan London and Sustainability and Transformation Partnership (STP) level
- Increased readiness for mental health in integrated care systems
- Improved consistency and sustainability, and reduced variation
This programme is sponsored by a Trust Chief Executive (West London Trust) and a Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Chief Officer (Kingston and Richmond CCG, South West London Senior Responsible Officer) and provides leadership at a London level to ensure providers and commissioners have a collaborative approach to improve mental health service delivery and payment systems.
Follow the link to see some of the programme’s deliverables.
For more information on Mental Health in Integrated Care Systems, please contact the Mental Health Transformation Team on email@example.com
Visit these websites for:
- NHS Long Term Plan
- Mental Health Taskforce’s The Five Year Forward View for Mental Health
- National Policy & Strategy teams guidance on use of outcomes
NHS guides to different payment mechanisms developed by NHS England and NHS Improvement, including the clustering booklet:
- New payment approaches for mental health services
- Changes to tariff and payment mechanisms
- Guidance on costings