During 2019/20, TCST undertook a scoping exercise regarding fertility preservation for people affected by cancer. The aim of the Fertility and Cancer Scoping Report is to provide CCGs/STPs/ICSs, cancer alliances, clinicians and management teams with a greater understanding of the fertility preservation services and support offered to people aged 16 and over affected by cancer in London. This includes both Teenage and Young Adult and Adult Cancer Services for both men and women.
The report includes;
- An overview of why fertility is an important consideration for cancer patients
- A survey of cancer clinicians designed to understand fertility preservation and support services offered by cancer services and understand cancer team’s education, training, and confidence levels in discussing fertility with patients
- A comparison of CCG/STP fertility preservation policies
- Thematic analysis of qualitative interviews with fertility and cancer clinicians
- An overview of cancer and fertility data
- A ‘checklist’ for systems who wish to reduce variation in fertility preservation services/support for cancer patients.